Community forums

Advice for suitable airframe

Hi,

my university recently bought a Dropix flight controller, that I should now pack on an aiframe, together with an raspberry pi, and build a basic plattform for a future research drone project. Currently my university has the following things lying around, that are required to be used:

• The Dropix Pack with GPS
  • The power distribution board Pack
  • and a Kypom 5200mAh 4S 35C Lipo Pack as well as an Kypom 10200mAh 4S 35C Lipo Pack (i should select one, preferably the bigger one)

My task is to figure out a suitable airframe, as well as ESC’s, motors and props, order it and make it fly.
As my drone knowledge is pretty basic, I wanted to ask, if there are any recommended frame+motor kits readily available, that are known to work well with such a Dropix setup? I would also be happy with recommendations on motors, props and ESCs, as these are the things I have no experience on. Any help and information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Fitzi

Hi,

It really depends on the size of the device you want to build! You could inspire yourself in Jugaad, it is a rather good setup to experience and develop.

Hi and first of all, thank you for your tipp.
I’ve suggested the use of a kit like the Jugaad, but as it’s a bit on the pricy side, my university want’s me to find out if we could buy similiar parts for a cheaper price.
The drone itself doesn’t need to be big, it should hold a raspberry pi as well as some small sensors, maybe 200 or 300 grams total.

I already did some research and I found some similary rated components, but I am not totally sure how to properly compare those parts with each other.
Maybe if you or someone else could take a quick glance at the following parts and tell me if I’m on the right way?

Thanks again for all the help,
Fitzi

Your parts seem ok, I would only increase ESC current capacity to 30 or even 40 A to take a safety margin. Keep in mind that ESCs are often the less reliable parts of a drone.

Thank you very much for looking at the parts. I “upgraded” to the 30A version of these ESC and sent the parts list to the university. I’m positive that these parts will be approved and bought.
I will drop a short comment, as soon as the parts arrived and the drone (hopefully) took it’s first flight :smiley:

Again, thank you very much for your help and have a nice day,
Fitzi