Which Base Station Antenna To Use with 3DR Solo RTK?

I’m looking to purchase a 3DR Solo RTK GPS, and I see there are two compatible options for the base station: the XXL RTK GPS (NEO-M8P Base) and the Tiny RTK GPS (NEO-M8P Base).

Will any accuracy be sacrificed by purchasing the Tiny RTK base rather than the XXL RTK base?

Also, I see there are three options for antennas with the Tiny RTK. Will accuracy be sacrificed with any of these, or can the same 2.5cm accuracy be achieved with any of them?

If it makes any difference to the answers to the above questions, I’ll be using the setup in North America (in wide-open areas, so multipath is unlikely to be a big issue for me).

Thanks in advance, glad to be part of the community, looking forward to contributing!

The better the antenna, the better the chances to have a strong fix. The three antenna options have different amplifications (26 dB, 28 dB and 40 dB). So if you can use the best one (also the heaviest and the most expensive of the three) you are increasing your chances of having a strong setup for different scenarios.

XXL base and TinyRTK base have the same chip inside, so there is no fundamental difference between them, apart the fact that XXL base does already contain a ground plane for the antenna.

Thank you for your response and the explanation of the different amplifications!

I notice the TW2710 antenna has a magnetic base. Does it require the installation of a specific base plane, or is this meant to be connected to a large metal structure, like the roof of a car?

The TW2710 we sell does not have a magnetic base, it has been removed on purpose in order to avoid magnetic disturbance to other components such as magnetometers.

It is always good to have a ground plane under the antenna, it will help to attenuate multipath and provide better signal conditioning.

How big is the differenz between a patchantenna (XL RTK GPS) and a unit (Tiny RTK GPS) with a tallysman 3740 antenna with 10m cable?

The patchantenna has at least no cable at all, no loss and no disturbances over the antenna line.

And which solution is best for a rover, if the antenna has up to 45 degree pitch and roll?

I am thankful for any idea!

The Tallysman antenna has integrated filters and Low-Noise-Amplification. It is dual feed, so it has better multipath rejection. The patch has none of these features but is better integrated.

If you have enough room, I would go for the active antenna (Tallysman).